Saturday, September 12, 2009

Norma Jeane Mortenson

I must admit to something. I have an…obsession is the wrong word. Fascination. I have a fascination with Marilyn Monroe.

Not because of her beauty, although that does play a role. Everyone knew how beautiful she was and she really was. Amazing to think that almost fifty years after she passed, and she still ranks up their as one of the most beautiful women ever.

I think the reason I love her so much is…pity isn’t the right word. Maybe sympathy. I’m not sure. Sympathy + sadness. I feel sympathysadness for her.

This is all speculation of course, and it’s entirely possible I’m entirely wrong, but I think that Marilyn Monroe was putting on a great big act for all of us because she a.) wanted to be famous and knew that that was the only way how, and/or b.) she much preferred her “act” as Marilyn Monroe to her normal Norma Jeane.

Bah I’m probably not explaining myself very well here. I think that Marilyn Monroe was very aware of her sexuality and exploited people—especially men’s—love for her to get what she wanted: fame. But I think that later on in her life, she realized that this may not have been the path that she truly wanted. I think that later in her life she wanted to just be Norma Jeane.

But she couldn’t because she would probably be hated by everybody and because she knew there really was no going back.

I think Marilyn Monroe was just putting on an act for us all because she knew that it would make her succeed in life. But, unfortunately, there was no end to her act. She could never revert back to Norma Jeane because no good would ever come of it in terms of success.

And I just think that’s so sad. That no one ever knew Norma Jeane. Or, rather none of us, the masses, ever knew her. And that’s just incredibly sad to me.

I’m sure I’m all over the place and you, the reader, are probably very confused, so allow me to summarize. I think that Marilyn Monroe put on the act of the dumb blonde and put on the act of sexuality because it would make her popular and help her succeed. And I also think that she regretted it later. Maybe fame wasn’t what she thought it was, or maybe as Marilyn, she never found what every girl (everybody really) wants: true love and all that jazz.

If you don’t believe me here’s a quote by her: “I knew I belonged to the public and to the world, not because I was talented or even beautiful, but because I had never belonged to anything or anyone else.”

Understand now?

If you’re still skeptical, here’s another quote from her: “I have too many fantasies to be a housewife. I guess I am a fantasy.”

How about now?

And, I’m not the only one who’s come to this realization. Look at the lyrics for "Candle in the Wind" by Elton John.

“Goodbye Norma Jean
From the young man in the 22nd row
Who sees you as something more than sexual
More than just our Marilyn Monroe”



What I’m listening to: The new remastered Beatles CDs. They’re 23948324583 times better then the originals! What are you waiting for, get them now!!

No comments:

Post a Comment